[Zope] backup full instances

Jonas Meurer jonas at freesources.org
Fri Oct 26 10:57:02 EDT 2007

Hello,

We have several different zope instances running on our servers, and
currently the only backup we do is a daily copy of the Data.fs.

The main problem with this backup approach is, that the zope instance is
not stopped for the backup at all, thus the Data.fs might not be up to
date.

Is it safe in general to copy Data.fs while the instance is running? Or
might I end up with a broken Data.fs, which zope is not able to read at
all?

And which other ways to you know to backup an entire instance? Maybe
sync it with ZEO to another server in realtime? Or use some export
method?

thanks in advance,
 jonas