[Zope] Re: [Zope-DB] case insensitive ZSQL queries

Peter Bengtsson peter at fry-it.com
Fri Sep 7 04:19:45 EDT 2007

>      upper(lastname) like upper(<dtml-sqlvar lastname type=string>)

* Don't use LIKE without any regular expression

* Use ILIKE instead of UPPER(...) = UPPER(...) since it's usually faster
(I've "proven" this for PostgreSQL at least)

* Fastest method is always to use an index and you can write an index
based on the UPPER() of a column. I've done this for a postcode table
and sped up my queries by more than 10 times.

> On 06/09/07, *Jaroslav Lukesh* < lukesh at seznam.cz
> <mailto:lukesh at seznam.cz>> wrote:
>
>     Use MS-SQL or Sybase :o)

Peter Bengtsson,