[Zope] Re: [Plone-developers] the grand reunion

robert rottermann robert at redcor.ch
Mon Apr 14 02:07:08 EDT 2008

Rudá Porto Filgueiras schrieb:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Florian Friesdorf <flow at mytum.de> wrote:
>> Hi Robert,
>>

>>  On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 04:04:43PM +0200, robert rottermann wrote:
>>  > hi yuri,
>>  >
>>  > when setting up a zope/zeo task and everything was still a bit of a
>>  > challenge (at least to me) we tended to have everything in one big
>>  > instance that served some 20 low traffic sites.
>>  > since then setting up a site with all the tools it needs has become a
>>  > trivially easy and quick to execute task. we have converted nearly all
>>  > these sites to have their own instance.
>>  >
>>  > I would not do it differently anymore ..
>>
>>  Do you have or are there any comparisons for RAM usage of one zope instance
>>  containing multiple plone instances vs. multiple zope instances containing a
>>  single plone instance only?
>
> It will be overkill. ;-)
> We run all Plone sitess in same instance as possible (plone provider),
> only creating one data.fs to each Plone Site and tunning cache objects
> to each site needs.

you might be right,
is is an overkill when you start. just creating a new folder and a new
plone site in it is *so* easy.
however, every site has its own lifecycle and tends to call for extra
products, adaptations, plone & product versions, you name it. every such
change affects every site in a "one zope/several plone site" setup.
and even if the change migth be trivial, it can have unwanted side
effects for an other site.
my experience is: dont do it!

robert