[Zope] anyone heard of Zamasing?

Philip Kilner phil at xfr.co.uk
Wed Apr 16 08:01:54 EDT 2008

Hi Tom,

Tom Von Lahndorff wrote:
> Thats pretty awesome. It's "zamazing" to me that Zope 2 is not a de
> facto platform for "Web 2.0" projects. I think it has some major
> benefits over Rails and maybe even Django but there seems to be no
> interest in it from that community. This is a great start.

I agree that it's a great platform for Web 2.0 projects - I'm a happy
RDBMS developer, using Zope as an application server against Postgres dbs.

I find that Formulator, ZPTs and simple scripts on the server side and
JQuery on the client side (specifically, the JQuery Taconite
implementation [1] with XML ZPTs) work wonderfully together.

My interest is pretty narrow, in the sense that I'm all about RDBMSs,
tabular data, and form-driven data entry - the less guff between me the
and the RDBMS, the happier I am. However, if I don't have much to say,
it's only because TTW Zope development using these tools is so easy. If
there is any interest in discussing this stuff, I am up for that.

Having said all that, I'm happy enough with the ZMI as it is, so
"Zamasing" is only of academic interest to me.

FWIW, all these techniques can also be made to work seamlessly inside
Plone without doing any actual Plone development, which can be handy
(you really only need to work with Plone's CSS to make it look
consistent) - a server side mash-up which avoids all the cross-site
scripting stuff, if you like.

[1] http://www.malsup.com/jquery/taconite/

--

Regards,

PhilK

'work as if you lived in the early days of a better nation'
- alasdair gray