[Zope] When to use a relational database

quizzical quixoptic at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 19:03:49 EST 2008

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is a dumb question, I have had a good look through the
archives and on the web. My question is basically about how to design a
website. I really like the ease with which you can build applications in
zope but I often see comments implying that in order to scale well one may
want to use a backend relational datbase. I have also seen several comments
to the effect that one should keep the state of a user session out of the
ZODB.

I am slightly confused by this, I can't find any information which would
help me decide what data would be better off in a relational database.

Example, to learn my way around zope I am deesigning a simple blogging
application which allows people to log into the site and see blogs they have
subscribed too. I would represent the blog posts as a series of ZPT
documents. Two questions, is it better to represent the blog posts as
objects in the database or as records in an external relational database?
And as regards users, should I use Zope's userfolders for authentication or
an external database of usernames and passwords?

Again I apologize if this is a ridiculous question and if someone can point
me in the direction of some good resources about the overall design of a
zope site that would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance