[Zope] Character display issues upgrading 2.8.8 to 2.9.8

John Schinnerer john at eco-living.net
Fri Feb 8 21:09:09 EST 2008

Aloha,

OK, I have now done the upgrade the "right" way, by copying add-in
products and data.fs from zope 2.8.8 instance to 2.9.8 instance (on
debian 4.0).

I still have the same problem occurring. StructuredDocument content that
contains curly quotes, curly apostrophes, and some accented (French)
chars (and maybe others I haven't spotted yet) is not displaying those
chars correctly (they show up as hollow block, black diamond "?", etc.
depending on browser).

My assumption is that something has changed in character set
handling/publishing between 2.8.8 and 2.9.8. I know nothing about zope
char set handling (if that's even the right term) - it's never been an
issue before. As mentioned the zope.conf settings for
default-zpublisher-encoding are left at the default (iso-8859-15) in
both instances. 2.8.8 was installed from source. 2.9.8 was installed by
the plone 2.5.5 unified installer.

I would appreciate any leads on where/how to start fixing this.

thanks,
John S.

--
John Schinnerer, MA WSD