[Zope] Best Practice for including Javascript in Zope Applications

Matt Hollingsworth mr.hworth at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 04:17:05 EST 2008

Hello,

Ok, I came up with a solution that I like; today I spent a little while
making it so I don't have to load things into memory before they are served.
Now it works quite nicely for serving out js/css/gui pics.  I won't post
what I did right now, as I haven't really cleaned it up and I'm ashamed of
how it looks at the moment,  but I'll post the usage of it to see if anyone
would like to use it after I clean it up:

from util import FileSystemResource #it's just in a utility module for my
current project at the moment

MyZopeObject(Implicit,Item,Whatever):

	#"js" and "css" are paths that are considered relative to my package
directory (not the cwd for zope).  It can be absolute too, if desired.
	js = FileSystemResource("js","Javascript Repository")
	css = FileSystemResource("css","CSS Repository")

Now, say that there is ext-all.js in a directory called
"/path/to/zope/Products/MyProduct/js/".  You could then link to the java
script file by going to http://domain.com:8080/myZopeObject/js/ext-all.js.
In particular, in dtml, I have a standard_html_header that looks something
like this:

==standard_html_header.dtml==

<head>

<!--Set the title-->
<title><dtml-var title></title>

<dtml-comment><script src="&dtml-absolute_url;/js/navbar.js"/><!--GUTS
navbar--></dtml-comment>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="&dtml-absolute_url;/js/resources/css/ext-all.css">

<!--Source in local_js unless the variable isn't defined-->
<dtml-try >
  	<dtml-in expr="local_js">
	<script src="&dtml-absolute_url;/js/&dtml-sequence-item;"/>
  	</dtml-in>
<dtml-except><!--Do nothing-->
</dtml-try>

</head>

<!--Start the body-->

<!--Set basic pre-nav header-->
<dtml-unless NO_HEADER>
	<h1 id="main-title">This is a title.</h1>
</dtml-unless>

==!End standard_html_header.dtml==

Then in MyZopeObject, I wrap up my DTML in a method like so:

..<other class stuff>...

_main = DTMLFile("dtml/main",globals())
def main(self):
	main_js=["ext-all.js","main.js"]

	return _main(self.REQUEST,local_js = main_js)

I did the whole local_js thing so I could control what JS got dropped into
what pages without having to write a different header for each one.  I will
probably also do the same thing for the css just in case I want
page-specific css files.

This is what I'm doing at the moment, and it's working great.  If this would
be useful to someone else, I'll give it more than an hour and a half of
thought, rewrite it more intelligently, and make it available.  Otherwise,
thanks to everyone for their comments!

-Matt