[Zope] Re: Zope ZMI Templates

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Tue Jan 15 14:02:10 EST 2008

Jurian Botha wrote:
> I'm currently developing some customized ZMI pages and I was hoping someone
> could give me some insight into what the best way would be to do this.
>
> I see that Zope 2 uses dtml methods to build the standard ZMI pages but as
> far as I know (Zope 3 wise) I should rather be using Zope Page Templates to
> build the pages.
>
> I would also like the product to gracefully move on to Zope 3 in future, so
> that should be taken into consideration as well.
>
> Are there perhaps some existsing templates for ZMI that can also be used
> with Zope 3?

You could choose to use a 'zmi_master' template which looked like so::

 <metal:x metal:define-macro="master">
 <tal:x tal:replace="structure context/manage_page_header" />
 <tal:x tal:replace="structure context/manage_tabs" />
   Non-boilerplate goes here.
 <tal:x tal:replace="structure context/manage_page_footer" />
 </metal:x>

If you registered that template as a view in your product's
'configure.zcml', e.g.:

  <browser:page
     for="*"
     name="zmi_master"
     template="zmi_master.pt"
     />

you can then use it in your own ZMI templates, e.g.:

   <h1> Test ZMI Macro </h1>

I have attached a tarball of a simple Zope2 product which does this.
After installation, you should be able to visit
http://localhost:8080/zmi_test to see the results.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com