[Zope] problem migrating ZClasses from Zope 2.6.1 to Zope 2.9.8

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Wed Mar 26 08:12:39 EDT 2008

--On 26. März 2008 07:59:20 -0400 "Allen Schmidt Sr."
<aschmidt at fredericksburg.com> wrote:

> That sounds so easy. We have one ZClass but it is the basis of almost our
> entire newspaper website. The news ZClass was built in 2000 and put into
> production when we went live on Zope in Feb 2001 (just before the guys at
> Zope Corp said that ZClasss were bad).

I think it wasn't ZC. The community just does not give the love to ZClasses
one would expect. Consider ZClasses as a second or third-class citizen
within the Zope world.

>Over 7 full years of daily news as
> ZClass objects. We are in the same boat as we want to move from 2.7.5 to
> a later version. We could switch to SQL articles but then we would have
> to make sure all the old URLs still functioned as our content is all over
> the search engines...and convert everywhere there are tools to manage
> story creation, importing, editing, etc. Yuck. We could just make the
> cutover one day and just keep an instance running for the old stuff and
> all new stuff runs from SQL.

8 years of lifetime is pretty long..I think at this point it would be time
for switching to some new architecture. You have plenty of great
Zope technology available right now in order to make the change...of course
this requires time and money :-)

Andreas