[Zope] Multithreading sessions

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Fri May 23 13:55:35 EDT 2008

--On 23. Mai 2008 12:31:50 -0500 Jens Vagelpohl <jens at dataflake.org> wrote:

> On May 23, 2008, at 11:49 , Jon Emmons wrote:
>> Another thought I had, is that Zope has only one python interpreter
>> running,
>> pretty much forcing all processing to be serial by default given
>> what you've
>> just said.
>
> Sorry, that's all baloney. Just like blindly hiking the number of threads
> or the ZODB database connection pool size. Zope can handle more than one
> concurrent request.
>
> I would take a close look at the Zope database adapter for your
> relational database you are using. Some are not thread-enabled and will
> serialize database access.

Not much to be added. Either your backend server blocks further requests
(as indicated earlier by a database lock) or some extension module is
holding the GIL. We have seen situation where Python did not perform a
thread switch while working on a complex regular expression operation in
one thread (preventing a thread switch over ten seconds and longer).

Andreas