[Zope] Was Problem using nested dtml-in with zsql

Kees de Brabander cj.de.brabander at hccnet.nl
Sat Nov 8 14:47:16 EST 2008

+1
cb

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: zope-bounces at zope.org [mailto:zope-bounces at zope.org] Namens Garry
Saddington
Verzonden: zaterdag 8 november 2008 12:54
Aan: zope at zope.org
Onderwerp: Re: [Zope] Was Problem using nested dtml-in with zsql

On Saturday 08 November 2008 06:21, Andreas Jung wrote:
> Any particular reason for using DTML instead of ZPT? DTML is dead.
Firstly let me say that I do not wish to relight the ZPT vs DTML argument,
only to make a few points.

I find this an extraordinary attitude coming from someone so important to
this community. I am sure there are many developments out there relying on
DTML and I am also sure that the developers are earning a living from those
developments. Will employers be happy that the technology used for their
sites is "dead" ? Will they continue to pay these developers?

Can you give one reason why DTML is bad that is not based on personal
preference, presentation tools or the cognitive ability of developers to
understand where variables are coming from? Does it not work if used
properly?

If someone comes to Zope and prefers to use DTML then let him, don't
criticise instead of help him. Zope is a fantastic piece of software,
however it is used, and its use should be encouraged.

I prefer DTML and always have done and always will, no matter what this list
says and I am sure there are many more like me. DTML is available and is
used, let's support it properly on this list.

While I was learning Zope I had many questions, but I had to work most of
them out myself, not wanting to get lambasted again on this list for using
DTML.
If help was more forthcoming I'm sure that I would have learned more quickly
rather than in relative isolation.

Is the ZMI going to be re-written using ZPT?

Regards
Garry
Zope maillist  -  Zope at zope.org
(Related lists -