[Zope] Non-blocking long-running Zope tasks

Pawel Lewicki lewicki at provider.pl
Mon Oct 20 10:22:34 EDT 2008

Hi,
What would be the easiest way of managing long-term Zope tasks? I'm
using a Plone-based application using a lot of SQL queries and I have a
problem with hanging, probably because of ODBC driver - it hangs on
timeouts (Windows).
I have an idea to rewrite the core to delegate problematic tasks out of
main Zope process. It would solve two problems at once. Long
non-responding requests and hanging service. (I would check for query
results by AJAX requests.)
At the moment the most promising is zc.async. I would connect ZEO
dispatchers and give back query results. Problem is that I don't need
persistence for most of task results and I wonder if ZEO transactions
are necessary for that king of processing?
Any starting points to suggest?

Paweł Lewicki