[Zope] Using page templates to generate large XML files

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sat Sep 6 14:34:21 EDT 2008

Marco Bizzarri wrote at 2008-9-6 08:26 +0200:
>I need to generate a large XML file inside a Zope application; the
>file is for backup purposes, so it is stored on the server and can be
>downloaded later with whatever suitable tool.
>
>The data are taken from a database, and then they are used to create
>the XML. I assume there will be between 40.000 and 100.000 rows to be
>dumped.
>
>I thought i could use page template for this purpose, but I'm not sure
>if it is possible to send the output from a pt to a file, directly.

I fear, this is not a supported usecase:

  The standard page template implementation writes to a
  "StringIO" object (thus its internal infrastructure is prepared
  for incremental output generation)
  but the file to be written to it not controllable from outside.

If your XML is not too complex, I would directly generate it
(and not go through a PageTemplate).

--
Dieter