[Zope] [Further investigations] Re: A question about __setstate__ in Shared/DC/ZRDB/Connection.py

Marco Bizzarri marco.bizzarri at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 10:03:17 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> import sys
>> import unittest
>>
>> if __name__ == '__main__':
>>     execfile(os.path.join(sys.path[0], '../framework.py'))
>>
>> from Testing import ZopeTestCase
>>
>> from OFS import Image
>>
>> from Products.ZPsycopgDA.DA import manage_addZPsycopgConnection
>> from Products.ZSQLMethods import SQL
>>

>> class DoubleTransactionTest(ZopeTestCase.ZopeTestCase):
>>
>>     def _add_big_image(self, value, data):
>>         Image.manage_addFile(self.app, "f%06s" % value, data , "a title")
>>
>>     def test_showdouble(self):
>>         manage_addZPsycopgConnection(self.app, "db_connection", "",
>> "host=localhost user=postgres dbname=template1")
>>         self.app._setObject('sql', SQL.SQL("sql", "", "db_connection",
>> "", "select * from pg_tables"))
>>         self.app.sql()
>>         data =  "*" * (1 << 20)
>>         for x in range(1000):
>>             self._add_big_image(x, data)
>>             print "Added %s " % x
>>         self.app.sql()
>>
>> if __name__ == '__main__':
>>     unittest.main()
>>

>> I'm doing three things here:
>>
>> - creating a db connection
>> - making a query to the db (this causes a transaction to begin)
>> - creating a lot of "big" files (expecially, larger than 2 * 2 ^ 16 *)
>> - making another query to the db;
>>
>> Once I create a big file I fall into the following branch inside the
>> OFS.Image._read_data
>>

>>         if size <= 2*n:
>>             seek(0)
>>             if size < n: return read(size), size
>>             return Pdata(read(size)), size
>>
>>         # Make sure we have an _p_jar, even if we are a new object, by
>>         # doing a sub-transaction commit.
>>         transaction.savepoint(optimistic=True)
>>
>> This causes, at the end, to call the ZODB.Connection.savepoint which,
>> just before returning, calls a cacheGC to be called, which, I'm
>> afraid, causes the db_connection to be "sent" out of the cache itself,
>> thus leaving it without the _v_ attributes.
>>
>> Hope this can help in giving suggestions.
>
> Thanks for digging further into it;  I couldn't imagine how that was
> occurring.  In this case, the large number of created Pdata objects (one
> per 64k chunk of each of your images) are causing your connection object
> to be evicted from the cache at one of the savepoints, and thus
> ghostified (which is where it loses its volatiles).
>
> There is a special 'STICKY' state which prevents ghostifying, but it
> can't be set from Python code.  You could, however, set '_p_changed' on
> the connection at the beginning of the method, and then delete it at the
> end:  changed objects can't be ghostified.  E.g.:
>
>   def my_method(self):
>       self.connection._p_changed = 1
>       try:
>           self.sql()
>           # now do the stuff which used to ghostify the connection
>       finally:
>           del self.connection._p_changed
>
> It is a nasty workaround, but should help prevent the lockup.

Thanks for the suggestion, Tres, I'm trying it right now.

I think this could be responsible for the problem I had a few months
ago, under the name: "Asking advice on a Zope "stuck" (or: what did I
do wrong?)"

Do you think there will be some sort of "general" solution to the
problem? I mean, the problem is actually that there are some objects
which should not be ghostified, or am I wrong?

Regards
Marco