[Zope] [Zope-dev] Zope 4.0, maybe not such a bad idea...

Andrew Milton akm at theinternet.com.au
Fri Apr 3 05:34:48 EDT 2009

+-------[ Sascha Welter ]----------------------
| (Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 04:11:00PM -0400) Jim Fulton wrote/schrieb/egrapse:
| > I don't think we need A&B.  Maybe just "Zope" and "Zope Framework".
|
| As long as both use the word "Zope", the confusion will continue.

I don't think changing the names as much as there "might be" confusion,
is practical for any number of reasons. Some commercial, others just
pragmatic.

I think making a distinction between the app servers and the
framework/architecture is a good idea, it then just becomes a matter of
educating our current or potential users.

If "we" want the name "Zope" to reference the underlying technology then
the app servers for all versions need to be relabelled as something
else.

Decide where the line is first, then worry about naming things later.
After all new users don't know the name now, and existing users can cope
with a cosmetic thing like a name change.

As for asking versions, we have to ask anyway since there is a large
spread even in the number of Zope2 installs out there that we have to
help with. We're all de-facto 3rd party app support too on #zope so it's
a one-stop-shop for help regardless of what part of Zope you're having a
problem with.

We all want "what's best" moving forward, deciding "what's best" without
having some other agenda should probably the first item tabled. Putting
the cart before the horse by trying to move content around or changing
webpages is not really that helpful to the process.

Telling the existing Zope2 people that they're stupid or whatever other
epithets are used, because they're using a well-understood stable
codebase is also counter-productive.

Let's work out if there is a problem. Then work out how to solve it.
Then solve it. Let's not do it backwards.

--
Andrew Milton
akm at theinternet.com.au