[Zope] [Zope-dev] Zope 4.0, maybe not such a bad idea...

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 13:19:52 EDT 2009

2009/4/3 Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk>:
> Lennart Regebro wrote:
>>
>> 1. The Zope Framework dependency cleanup project continues. When
>> cleanup is deemed reasonably finished, we rename the framework Zope 4.
>
> Oh, so Zope 4 is a run on from Zope 2?

Eh... no.

> How do I upgrade from Zope 2 to Zope 3?

Eh... what's your point?

> How about from 3.5 to 4?

Should be reasonably easy.

> Bream 4.0 would be fine with me for that, I don't think there seems to be anyone who really cares about it anymore though...

Possible.

>> 3. Grok moves over either to Zope.pipeline or repose.bfg as publisher in Grok 2.
>
> Grok is Grok, Repoze is Repoze, lets leave them be and let them choose their own names...

Grok and Repoze is not mutually exclusive.

> It cannot be called Zope int(x) for any value of x for the reasons that cause the current confusion. I think Zope Legacy 4 is a bit mean, I think there's plenty more life in the project if people want there to be. That was why I suggested Zope Classic (hey, it worked for Coke when they had to bring back their original product because of a snafu on the supposed replacement!)

Sure, Zope Classic works too. I don't like "Standard" because it makes
it sound like it's preferred.

> Bream 4 on top of Framework 4
> Standard 4(which would include Framework 4)
> Plone 4 on top of Standard 4
> Repoze and Grok on top of Framework 4

Yup. Sounds good to me.

As usual, I don't think any decisions should be taken. This is just
what I would like to see. People either do it or do not.

--
Lennart Regebro: Pythonista, Barista, Notsotrista.
http://regebro.wordpress.com/