[Zope] Zope and wxPython interface

Lumír Jasiok lumir.jasiok at vsb.cz
Fri Aug 14 04:36:26 EDT 2009

Jim Washington wrote:
> Lumír Jasiok wrote:
>
>> David Bear wrote:
>>
>>> What do you gain by doing this?
>>>
>>> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Lumir Jasiok <lumir.jasiok at vsb.cz
>>> <mailto:lumir.jasiok at vsb.cz>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Hi,
>>>
>>>     I need to write an application which will be based on MVC design and
>>>     will have both web interface and desktop GUI based on wxPython. It is
>>>     possible to write such an application as standard Zope app and use
>>>     zope.interfaces package for defining wxPython GUI as other view
>>>     (I hope
>>>     that it's called view, I am not sure - I am new in Zope
>>>     programming)? Or
>>>     am I totally wrong?
>>>
>>>     Best Regards
>>>
>>>     Lumir Jasiok
>>>
>>>     --
>>>     Lumír Jasiok
>>>     VSB-TU Ostrava - Computer centre
>>>     Tel: +420 59 732 3189
>>>     E-mail: lumir.jasiok at vsb.cz <mailto:lumir.jasiok at vsb.cz>
>>>     http://www.vsb.cz
>>>

>> I want to have an application with common code for both web and
>> desktop application, so data and business logic will be common and
>> only thing which will be different will be a view (web page or desktop
>> application GUI). So users will have choice what interface they want
>> to use, data will be same.
>>
>> As programmer I want to have common code for business logic, because
>> of simplicity. I don't want to have two trunks, two business logics etc.
>>

> Hi, Lumir
>
> You might take a look at pyjamas (http://pyjs.org).  Using pyjamas, you
> can have common code for business logic and also for the GUI on web and
> desktop.  The main data transfer/persistence mechanism in pyjamas is
> JSON-RPC, so that part of the model can be zope or anything that can do
> JSON-RPC.
>
> If you like wxPython GUI code, pyjamas code is very similar, and there
> are examples using PureMVC (http://puremvc.org) in the repository.
>
> You cannot, at present, use zope.interface to do automatic widget
> generation in pyjamas. On the other hand, it is really easy to do custom
> widgets and client-side display logic.  You write your widgets and their
> behavior in python, not in HTML and javascript.  Styling, however, can
> be done with css.
>
> In the eight months since I first experimented with pyjamas
> (http://www.mail-archive.com/zope@zope.org/msg31618.html), it has
> improved substantially.  Fewer gotchas. More joy.  Worth a look.
>
> - Jim Washington

Hi Jim,

thanks for links, it looks interesting, I'll try it, but I don't know if
this is right way. I can see that pyjamas code is little bit unstable,
Pyjamas Desktop needs some patches and non-standard packages, so it will
be a problem for deployment.

But I was looking at the Zope view capabilities again, and may by best
solution will be write a XML-RPC view and remote client program based on
XML-RPC (wxPython GUI) which will be able to view and/or modify content
in Zope instance.

Any advices? Can I control whole Zope instance content using remote
XML-RPC client or there is problem with some type of content? I know
that XML-RPC has just few supported data types and I am not sure if this
is sufficient for all content types in Zope. At this time I think that I
will need just boolean, string, integer, float and binary data types,
but I am not completely sure, I am just at the beginning of analyze.

Lumir Jasiok

 E-mail: lumir.jasiok at vsb.cz
 http://www.vsb.cz