[Zope] VHM missing 'mappings' tab in Safari 4 - just me?

Sean Fulmer wsfulmer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 14:45:36 EDT 2009

Tres Seaver <tseaver at ...> writes:
> Sean Fulmer wrote:
>
> > I've checked my authentication in both browsers, and they are the same.
> >
> > SiteRoot does appear in the Add menu in Safari, and I'm able to add one
> > with no complaints from Zope.
> >
> > I should mention that I have no problems setting my VHM mappings, eg I can
> > manually navigate to http://domain.com/virtual_hosting/manage_edit in
> > Safari 4 and set the mappings. It's just that virtual_hosting/manage_main
> > does not present the link, eg:
> >
> > manage_main:
> > http://shots.noandwhere.com/vhm_manage_main_missing_mappings_tab.png
> >
> > When I do go to manage_edit directly, the Mappings tab *does* appear:
> > http://shots.noandwhere.com/vhm_manage_edit_has_mappings.png
>
> Can you figure out whether Safari4 is avoiding sending credentials for some
> reason?  E.g., add an external method like so:
>
>   def show_auth(self, REQUEST): """ Figure out if credentials are present in
>   the request.  """ name_pw = REQUEST._authUserPW() if name_pw is None:
>   print 'NO CREDENTIALS' else: print 'Found credentials for user: %s' % name

I think you nailed it - if I use that code in an external method. Safari
returns 'NO CREDENTIALS', and other browsers hit the 'else' branch.

> Also, see Chris McDonough's report of a similar issue with Safari 3:
>
>   http://www.plope.com/Members/chrism/safari_3_discards_basic_auth

That does seem to be related - in fact, I've just found that if I use my ZMI
auth credentials to log into the Plone site, the 'Mappings' tab of the VHM
starts working again... but the external method still returns 'NO CREDENTIALS'
:/

I'm still interested in the "just me?" aspect of this - has anybody else
noticed this in Safari 4?

--
Sean