[Zope] can I use my existing twisted rpc app in zope.

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sat May 2 06:14:33 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 10:45, Krishnakant <krmane at gmail.com> wrote:
> My first question is, should I use zope 2 or zope3 for a financial/
> accounting software?  I am not intending to develop just a web site but
> a complete web application which will be used in fields like Point of
> Sales and micro finance.  I feel I must go for zope 3 because the wiki
> says that zope3 is targeted at application developers for the web.

It's really up to you. Personally, I would recommend looking into
either Grok, which is based on Zope 3, or BFG, which is a minimalistic
framework using Zope 3 technologies.

http://grok.zope.org/
http://bfg.repoze.org/

> But at the same time I am unsure whether zope3 has products for tasks
> such as open office integration and call to a database.

You can use ny Python library both from Zope 2 and Zope 3. Often
easier from Zope 3 in fact.

> Right now we use a gtk based thin client to make calls to the rpc server
> based API.
> I would be interested to know if I can directly take this twisted based
> rpc server application and put it inside zope.

That depends on what you mean with "inside".

> What I mean is that I would like to directly integrate my already
> developed rpc server application inside zope in such a way that it sits
> in the server

I don't understand what you mean with having a twisted server inside a
zope server. It doesn't make any sense to me. Zope talks either HTTP
or WSGI (which in turn talks HTTP). The RCP server doesn't. I don't
see how "inside" makes sense there. Can the two servers talk to each
other and share data? Sure, there are many solutions for that. Can you
have the same application talk both HTTP and RPC? Sure. But in either
case neither is "inside" the other.

> So is this possible and should zope3 be the right choice for this?

Zope 3, or rather Grok or BFG, is the right answer to everything. ;)

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64