[Zope] Should I use a recent version of Zope 2?

Velayudhan, Vimalkumar vimal at ucc.ie
Sat May 16 11:54:09 EDT 2009

Dear all,
We had our original website setup on Zope-2.7.0-b2/Python-2.3.2. The
website had to be moved to a different server. In order to keep the
setup as similar as possible, Zope 2.8.7 was used with Python 2.3.4.
There were some issues recently due to which Zope cannot open a
connection to a gadfly database and reports it as corrupt with 'bad
marshal data' error in the logs. I found this to be a Python problem
rather than Zope as the same thing happens when trying to connect the
database using Python 2.3.4. The database however, can be opened with
newer versions of Python > 2.4.
The same error had occurred before in the logs but never caused much
downtime.
Hence we are considering using a newer version of Python for our
website.
Python 2.4 is supported from Zope 2.9.1 onwards. My question is should I
use 2.9 or use the more recent stable version 2.11.3? Will there be any
advantages/disadvantages?

Many thanks,
Vimal