[Zope] [Zope-Annce] ZClasses resurrected

Jonathan (dev101) dev101 at magma.ca
Mon Oct 5 07:22:50 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Allen Schmidt Sr." <aschmidt at fredericksburg.com>
To: "Dieter Maurer" <dieter at handshake.de>
Cc: "Zope Users" <zope at zope.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 04, 2009 4:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope] [Zope-Annce] ZClasses resurrected

> So...we are on 2.8.10 and our biggest app on our site is a ZClass based
> news object. How close will this provide functionality to just drop our
> data.fs into 2.12 and have those zclasses work?
> This is huge news! Thanks Dieter!!!!

For long term stability and maintainability I would strongly recommend
rewriting your application to remove ZClasses.

Depending on your application(s) this can be a non-trivial task, but once it
is done you can return to standard zope releases.

This is a business risk/reward situation: how important are the ZClass apps
to your business?  Can you afford to have them stop working?  Are willing to
maintain your own ZClass patches (Dieter has provided a starting point, but
what if Dieter "gets hit by a bus")?

I have rewritten ZClass apps twice now, and it can be a serious PITA, but
the peace-of-mind, ongoing product stability and maintainability was well
worth it.

Jonathan