[Zope] Disabling "Expand macros when editing"

Damon Butler damon at hddesign.com
Fri Sep 4 10:37:25 EDT 2009

Maurits van Rees wrote:
> Damon Butler, on 2009-09-03:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We just recently upgraded from various installations of Zope 2.7/2.9 to
>> Zope 2.10. The page template feature "Expand macros when editing" is
>> causing us major headaches. It is checked on by default, and as a
>> result, the instant we wish to view the source code of any ZPT, it has
>> been mangled into "expanded" form before we have a chance to do anything
>> to it.
>>
>> THIS IS BAD!
>>
>> How can we turn this feature off globally? Right now, it is flatly
>> impossible for us to edit most of our ZPTs because the instant we even
>> look at them they are mangled. We can't even uncheck the option without
>> saving the mangled version.
>>
>> It's Catch-22 of the worst sort. Please help!
>
> I created a fresh Zope 2.10.9 instance.  This option is not checked by
> default.  But when you check it and save the form it remains checked
> for that template.
>
> Try appending ?expand:int=0 to the url.  That does the trick for me.

Thanks for the reply, Maurits. However, your URL trick makes absolutely
no difference whatsoever. The ZPT code has already been "expanded" even
when we avoid the ZMI and access the ZPT by putting the URL to the ZPT
object -- with your query parameter -- into our browser.

We are currently using Zope 2.10.6. Has this problem been fixed with
Zope 2.10.9?

I simply cannot believe that there is NO WAY to turn this option off.
How silly is it that it appears to be literally impossible to view the
original source code for a ZPT?!

--Damon