[Zope] Preferred non-Products Initialization Approach?

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Thu Jan 27 08:04:00 EST 2011

On 01/27/2011 06:34 AM, Jeff Rush wrote:
> In my reading I can see there are two ways to initialize a Product that
> is not sitting in the Products directory:
>
> 1. use ZCML with the five:registerPackage directive
>
> 2. declare in setup.py a "zope2.products" entrypoint
>
> Which is the preferred way these days?  Is there a subtle difference?

Hmm, there seems to be a third way that some packages use:

3. declare your egg to be a 'Products' namespace package, omit any
entrypoint or registerPackage declarations and rely upon setuptools
splicing you into the Products.__path__ list and being found the
conventional way of scanning the (virtual) Products namespace.

BTW, I'm working with Zope 2.12.10, and I'm not finding -any- code that
searches for a zope2.initialize or zope2.products entrypoint - seems to
be a NOP.

-Jeff