[Zope] Problem Understanding URL

Jared Hall JHall at riverainc.com
Mon Jul 23 19:01:46 UTC 2012

Ok I'd read about those functions a little bit in the Zope 2 book or the Developer's Guide, but they seemed like advanced techniques that I probably wouldn't need to understand.

Back on topic; I ran this awesome command in the terminal:

grep getitem x=$(find . *.*)

and turned up some random references to getitem in some dtml code, which I judge to be insignificant. There was also one very interesting usage of __getitem__ in the python code itself, and I have to investigate the code further to understand what's going on. The function definition looks suspiciously like what I would expect to find for this 'hijacking' of control:

def __getitem__(self, key):
v=self._getOb(key, None)
        if v is not None: return v
        if hasattr(self, 'REQUEST'):
            request=self.REQUEST
            method=request.get('REQUEST_METHOD', 'GET')
            if request.maybe_webdav_client and not method in ('GET', 'POST'):
                return NullResource(self, key, request).__of__(self)
        raise KeyError, key

I read this as: look up the object in the current context and return it. The only problem with this is that I don't see when the object gets placed into the proper context for the TAL statements like here/FirstName, etc.

Thanks for your help already, and any continued guidance is appreciated.