[Zope] Zope2 - pro/contra

Sean Upton sdupton at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 18:52:17 CET 2015

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 3:56 AM, Sebastian Tänzer <st at taenzer.me> wrote:
> Chameleon is one of my favourite templating engines around.

I like TAL and Chameleon's subtle improvements on it.  I was recently
attending a Python users group meeting presentation on Pyramid.  The
presenter, who strongly liked jinja2, disparaged ZPT/Chameleon  with
(what I sensed was) an "anti-Zopism" straw-man.

Some folks in other Python dev communities tend to have unfortunate
strong opinions about Zope, still. Some folks tend to think that
technology choice is a cultural revolution of some kind where the
incumbent must be strung up in a public square, which is off-putting
to pragmatists.  And IMHO, other communities are better off learning
from Zope's hits and misses (past and present) than exhuming Oliver
Cromwell for symbolic torture.

I'm not sure that jinja2 and similar are really better for readability
or separation of concerns versus TAL, and if some folks don't like TAL
for DOM/XML/HTML-ish output, I'm left scratching my head why push
templating like meld3 hasn't really taken off.

My sense is that ZPT will continue to have its niche outside of Zope,
but mostly confined to developers working in Pyramid development.

Sean