[Zope] Plans for Zope 2 after Python 2.7 deadline

Jürgen Gmach juergen.gmach at apis.de
Wed Feb 13 13:41:06 CET 2019

Hi Jesus,

maybe you are not aware of it, but Zope 4 runs both on Python 2.7 and
3.4+.

So, the recommended upgrade path would be something like this:
- update to the latest 2.13 version
- update to Zope 4 on Python 2
- update to Zope 4 on Python 3 (which makes ZODB conversion necessary)

I do not think there are fixed dates when support for old versions get
dropped - ususally the Zope support is coupled to the Plone support - so
if any supported Plone version needs a special Zope version, Zope gets
supported.

You are definitely not on your own. There are Zope 4 sprints hosted by
gocept (Halle/Saale, Germany), where you could take part, both
contribute and learn about what to do. The next one is in May.
https://twitter.com/gocept/status/1082200091199524864

Also, if you cannot do the upgrade yourself, there are some companies
out there which can do that for you.

There is quite some information out there about upgrade paths for Python
software in general, but also especially for the Zope/Plone context
(blog of gocept.net, starzel.de, https://zope.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

There are only so and so many Zope developers out there, so I would not
bet on a long term maintenance of 2.13.

--
Jürgen Gmach . juergen.gmach at apis.de . +49 9482 941545
APIS Informationstechnologien GmbH . https://www.apis.de