[Zope3-dev] PythonProgrammerTutorial

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Wed, 05 Dec 2001 11:09:33 -0500

sean.bowman@acm.org wrote:

> hello,
>
> this is very exciting stuff!  I have a few questions.
>
> It seems some stuff that used to be done with acquisition is now sometimes
> handled in an xml configuration file, for example, associating a (possibly
> default) view with some object.

Acquisition is still used for looking up software. The configuration
file is just used for globally registered components. There will also
be services for managing components through the web. When you lookup a
component, the lookup will be done in a "place-full" way, where
place is expressed via an access context that is effectively the
same as an acquisition context.

> What does that together with the move
> away from implicit acquisition mean for TTW development?  Can I still whip
> up a presentation template TTW and view my content object with it

Yes. The prfered model will be very similar to that used for CMF skins
today. You'll be able to create presentation components TTW and register
them for object interface (kinds of object) and associate them with
skins.

You will also have the option of creating templates in the content space
if you want, although, if the content you use doesn't do implicit
acquisition, then the templates will only be usable in the folders that
contain them.

> (without any nasty urls)?

Is a URL like:

  http://foo.com/engineering/edit;view/action.html

really "nasty"? Isn't that just a tad strong? :)

In any case, if you choose to, you can configure you site
to not require explicit namespaces if you can deal with
namespace comflicts in other ways.

> Can I allow for the possibility of somebody overriding
> my filesystem based product's "view" presentation template TTW?

Absolutely. There will be TTW presentation services and you'll
be able to override file-system presentation components with TTW
components.

> I think ExplicitNamespaceControlInURLs on the wiki says something about
> this, but I can't exactly figure out what :)  Also, I'd sorta like some
> reassurance that we aren't going to have to use any ugly gross urls -- I
> think a great strength of Zope is that it lets me name resources (via
> urls) in a logical and consistent manner.

You won't have to use semocolons in URLs (although the ZMI might
in some cases).