[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-dev] Cool stuff!

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 12:40:24 +0100

Jim Fulton wrote:
> > If people agree, I will go through the Zope 3 CVS and change all references
> > from Feature to Adaptor. :)
>
> Before you start changing anything, we need a little more discussion. :)

Of course, I wasn't about to, no fear. Revolutionary rumblings aside,
I won't change core stuff without plenty of discussion. :)

> The term "adapter" has a pretty specific meaning in the "patterns" world
> that is more specific than "feature". This caused some confusion early on.
> If we aren't worried about the inconsistency with the patterns usage,
> then "adapter" is fine with me.  Features will be used both for
> translating one interface to another (the patterns usage) and for
> adding new application functionality.

Right, but I think the difference between the two is not clear cut anyway;
an adaptor adapts one interface so it'll work with another. This adapting
process may be easy or complicated (in which case new functionality is
often needed). Except in the simplest cases *some* intelligence will already
have to reside even in the simplest design patterns adapters.

> I'm not sure how best to resolve this. I'm certainly open to a
> different term, but I wouldn't want this change to be made based
> on a few "+1"s.

Agreed, but it's a good idea to gather some consensus opinion nonetheless.
You're the benevolent dictator, Guido. I mean, Jim. :)

Regards,

Martijn