[Zope3-dev] Zope3 comments and questions.

paul paul@zope.com
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:40:45 -0500

Lennart Regebro wrote:

> 2. Clearer structure
> lib/python/Zope/Products is not the most place to put a product for
> newbies. It's no problem having products that are a part of the Zope
> distribution there, but new additional products, both downloaded and
> self-developed, should probably go into a Products folder in the root
> installation. That will make it MUCH easier for Zope newbies to
> understand whats going on.

I agree on this.  Also, I think "Products" is the wrong name for the
directory.  It should be called "Packages", or better yet, "packages",
because that's what it contains.

Leave "lib/python/Products" for the place where old Zope2 stuff lives, IMO.

Of course this starts the ball rolling on discussion of package
management, which is likely to be quite important but a big scope
expansion on Zope3.  We can't ask the current team to shoulder that
burden.  Instead, we need to bring in some of the people willing to
collaborate, refine, and propose.

--Paul