[Zope3-dev] Bringing the name game to a close, for now

Ken Manheimer klm@zope.com
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 15:40:56 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Steve Spicklemire wrote:

> On Monday, December 10, 2001, at 03:05 PM, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
> > In Zope 3, the things currently called adapters will usually be used
> > to provide new functionality. They will not only be used to translate
> > interfaces.

> Hmm.. I guess it depends on how you look at it. Functionality is only
> "new" for a little while. Then it's "old". ;-) In any case, new or old,

I think the point is that the GOF use of 'adapter' is more general - it
applies to any translation across interfaces, while the Zope3 use will be
for transation for the sake of adding functionality.  So we're using
'adapter' for a more specialized thing than the GOF, which may lead to
some confusion, and maybe some conflict down the road.

Personally, it doesn't seem to me like that's going to be a problem - but
i'm still not well-oriented in the patterns world, so i'm not in a good
position to judge...

--
Ken
klm@zope.com