[Zope3-dev] Bringing the name game to a close, for now

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:37:13 -0500

Lennart Regebro wrote:

> From: "Steve Spicklemire" <steve@spvi.com>
> > On Monday, December 10, 2001, at 03:05 PM, Jim Fulton wrote:
> >
> > > In Zope 3, the things currently called adapters will usually be used
> > > to provide new functionality. They will not only be used to translate
> > > interfaces.
>
> > Hmm.. I guess it depends on how you look at it. Functionality is only
> > "new" for a little while.
>
> Scratch "new" then. Adapters will provide additional functionality.
>
> Jim does what he likes, obviously,

If I did what I like, I'd stick with features.

> but I think that the rename of features
> to adapters are adding to the confusion in the naming. Adapters is something
> you plug in between two things that does not otherwise fit, like a 110 to
> 220 v adapter. After the rename, we now call the electrical outlet
> "service", we call the radio "adapter" and we call the adapter "utility".

This is an interesting analogy. I think I'd call the outlet a
service, the adapter an adapter, and the radio a utility. I think
that this is reasonable.