[Zope3-dev] Bringing the name game to a close, for now

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 02:18:35 +0100

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Lennart Regebro wrote:
> >
> > From: "Guido van Rossum" <guido@python.org>
> > > I like adapter a lot better than feature.  And I think it's
> > > appropriate: an adapter can convert an application protocol (like the
> > > "Contact" class in Jim's tutorial) into a presentation protocol like
> > > HTML.  Whether that is new functionality or not is in the eye of the
> > > beholder...
> >
> > Well, you are correct, that would be a kind of adapter. But this sounds to
> > me more like a presentation component, and not like a feature component.
>
> Right you are!

Hmm.. Can't presentation components be adapter components at the same time?
The interface they're adapting to may be straight HTML and HTTP, but as
Zope has shown this can be treated as methods and objects, after all..

This is what ParsedXML's manageable wrappers do; they're adapters
(or actually decorators, they *add* manageable methods to the existing
DOM defined ones). ParsedXML's manageable wrappers are also view
components however (the methods added provide things like ZMI manageability
and traversability to the nodes).

I really want to be able to use adapters/decorators in this way!

Regards,

Martijn