[Zope3-dev] DISCUSS: getting rid of the obscure "Title" convention

Lalo Martins lalo@hackandroll.org
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 18:06:33 -0200

at: http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/SecurityFramework

> Interface IPrincipal
>  getTitle()
>    Return a label for the principal

So, why is it getTitle() and not getLabel()?

The use of the Title property/method is an obscure convention in Zope2
and, in most places, a misnomer.

If we want to keep a similar convention (a label that is shown in
content listings and other user interfaces), why not make it more
explicit?

In a webpage or something that is expect to generate a webpage, the
average user would expect a Title property to correspond to the
<title> tag. In an user entry, it's even more confusing, because the
average user would expect it to correspond to some subjective
addressing convention. How would you like to open up a customer's site
and find out all principal's getTitle() methods return either ['Mr.',
'Miss', 'Mrs.', 'Dr.']? ;-)

[]s,
                                               +----
--
  It doesn't bother me that people say things like
   "you'll never get anywhere with this attitude".

Brazil of Darkness (RPG)      ---       http://www.BroDar.org/