[Zope3-dev] DISCUSS: getting rid of the obscure "Title" convention

Wolfram Kerber wk@gallileus.de
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:35:57 +0100

Tres Seaver wrote:

> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
> > Lalo Martins wrote:
> >
> >>at:
http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/SecurityFra
mework

> >>So, why is it getTitle() and not getLabel()?
> >>
> >>The use of the Title property/method is an obscure convention in Zope2
> >>and, in most places, a misnomer.
> >>

> > I agree getLabel() would be a better name for this method. While titles
> > are frequently indeed used to fill <title> </title> in HTML pages,
> > they're also frequently used for other purposes, such as in
> > tables of contents of objects, or indeed as a label in Formulator fields
> > (though I'm to 'blame' for the latter :).
> >
> > So calling them labels sounds like a good idea.
>
> 'Title' and 'Description' are standard (DublinCore) field names
> for the metadata these fields represent.

I was thinking that the ComponentArchitecture would make such considerations
obsolete, there would just be a DublinCore presentation/view !?