[Zope3-dev] Naming and Distributing (was Importing)

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@cuemedia.com
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:02:01 -0700

On Thursday, December 13, 2001, at 08:47  AM, Chris Withers wrote:

> Yeah, but then you end up with a lot of conflicting things named
> 'Image' and
> 'utils', etc...

Naming becomes an important issue with both Frameworks and
Component Models.  Maybe we need to look at addressing this?

I do like Java's package naming conventions, which are like a
reverse domain name - so you get something like "import
com.cuemedia.foundation.FolderyContent" or whatever.

>> better than implicit" in Tim's Zen of Python.  Distutils and
>> site-packages have enough flexibility to support this.
>
> Where can I find a good introduction to distutils?

Installing Python Modules:
http://www.python.org/sigs/distutils-sig/doc/inst/inst.html

Distributing Python Modules:
http://www.python.org/sigs/distutils-sig/doc/dist/dist.html

Hopefully they're the current ones.

And hopefully, a good distutils solution for third party Zope
products presents itself soon - installing a major app like
Proiektor was quite difficult (mostly due to dependencies, but also
due to the fact that different people bundle up products
differently).

Jeffrey P Shell, jeffrey@cuemedia.com