[Zope3-dev] DISCUSS: getting rid of the obscure "Title" convention

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@cuemedia.com
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:39:17 -0700

On Thursday, December 13, 2001, at 11:42  AM, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Tres Seaver wrote:
>>> So calling them labels sounds like a good idea.
>>
>> 'Title' and 'Description' are standard (DublinCore) field names
>> for the metadata these fields represent.
>
> But isn't DublinCore specifically about document-style content, not
> about any type of object? We're not just talking content object
> after all.

Title, Label, Subject - they're all evil for somebody.

In CDO/MAPI based systems, Subject is their equivalent of your
Label.  By your argument about Title, we might similarly alienate
all exchange users who might come to the CMF and find 'Subject' to
be a multi-valued list.

For users of the classic Mac OS, 'Label' is a way of categorizing
files - used visually to hilight files with different colors, but
also used in file system queries.  It's not the filename.

I think the current conventions here are fine.  I think switching
to Label could likely confuse current Zope developers who would
have to know when to move concept of 'title' to 'label'.

I see your side of the argument as well.  But I would rate this as
a low priority issue.

Jeffrey P Shell, jeffrey@cuemedia.com