[Zope3-dev] PythonProgrammerTutorial: questions, comments, and feedback

Florent Guillaume fg@nuxeo.com
14 Dec 2001 17:58:49 GMT

> >   - CMF implemented the idea of a zope object having a "Type" and
> >     "meta-type".  How does this compare with Zope3?

This separation is sometimes very painful in CMF. The goal it solves is
to create a new type having different views or skin behaviour than its
original type. Zope3 allows us to do the same thing much more cleanly,
so I think Type (aka portal_type) should die.

> >    4. I really wish the CMF DCWorkflow functionality was built-in to
> >    zope's security mechanism.  The whole CMF concept of
> >    published,private,show,hide etc. would be much more powerful if it
> >    could be applied in a manner similiar to zope's security model.
> >    For example, the "acquire permission settings" button would equally
> >    apply if one had a "acquire publication settings" button.  Anyway,
> >    this is just an idea.
>
> This is an intriguing idea.  I also wonder if there is any cross-over
> effect with versioning.

There is definitely a lot of crossover between versioning and workflow.
For instance when one document is published (made visible to the world),
do you still allow access to the old versions ? Answer: it depends. When
a published document is retracted, do you put back the latest archived
version in its place ? It depends...

> For instance, here's a pattern that the CMF,
> even with DCWorkflow, can't do without versioning:
>
>    o Author creates document
>
>    o Author requests publishing
>
>    o Reviewer publishes
>
>    o Author edits document and adds foul language
>
> Since there is only one document, it is either published or not.  There
> is a workflow and security relationship to which version of a resource
> you're talking about.

Actually CMF does this from the start: when the reviewer publishes, the
document passes in a "published" state where Owner doesn't have
modification rights, so the author cannot edit the document to add foul
language.

Florent