[Zope3-dev] More name game suggestions

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 14:35:12 -0500

Florent Guillaume wrote:

> By the way would CMF Tools be akin to services or utilities ? Or it
> depends ? :)
>
> I'd see most of them as services, but would like to be sure...

BTW while I'm in this thread, I thought I'd throw out one more argument
against the word "adapter". :-)

The adapter design pattern has two parts, intent and implementation.
You are guided to consider using an adapter when you have two classes
that can't quite talk to each other.  You create an adapter to translate
one of the interfaces into the other interface.

The intent of features is different.  You are supposed to create a
feature when you want to add capabilities to your application.  The
implementation, however, is the same.

Imagine a recipe book where all the titles of the recipes are written as
an abbreviated chemical formula.  The formula describes the results of
mixing the ingredients, but does that help you find the recipe for a
pie?  "Adapter" describes what you get, but "feature" describes why you
want to use the pattern.

OTOH English words are short and already overloaded, especially in the
tech world.  By using the word "adapter" we are asserting the right to
change its meaning, but English gives everyone that right, so maybe it's
okay. :-)

Shane