[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope3 protocol development

Stephan Richter srichter@cbu.edu
Mon, 01 Apr 2002 11:05:16 -0600

Hello Eron,

At 11:49 AM 4/1/2002 -0500, Eron Lloyd wrote:
>Count me in on developing and *documenting* a protocol infrastructure
>for Zope3.

ALRIGHT! :-)

>  I'm still quite immature working with these areas of Python,

Do you think I have any experience? ;-) I have learned more about low-level
server development last weekend than I ever wanted to know. But Shane's
code is very, very cool and makes a lot of sense.

>but it is one of my biggest areas not only personal interest but will
>play a large role in a project I'm planning, where I want to integrate
>mail, news, calendaring, messaging, etc. into a Zope-based community
>information system. Providing a complete solution INSIDE Zope3's core
>versus trying to hack together the necessary glue code on my own makes a
>world of sense.

Cool. I think if we can get IMAP4, POP3, SMTP or NNTP support or whatever,
this would be great. And notice that ou do not need much understanding of
the Zope 3 internals to do that.

BTW, once you implement a protocol, I can always write the service/content
object supporting it. I can't wait to have mail folders! :-)

>I'll start looking at the code this week, and maybe
>pulling together external resources (possible libraries, similiar
>projects, etc.) and internal resources (Wiki material, Interface
>documentation, mailing-list gems, etc.) so that it will mature into a
>viable solution that can (hopefully) fit everybody's needs.

Great! As long as it fits the need of Zope 3, it will fit the need for
everyone right now. :-) If someone does not like something, they are always
welcome to make suggestions and then change the code. As I always say (and
my Political Science Prof. always declares me crazy for this): An Open
Source community is a Democratic Anarchy with the Programmers being the
Ruling Class! :-)

I have a lot of code in my sandbox that is fairly wild; I will create a
branch with all this stuff in it later today; I just fell asleep over it
last night and have to go to class in a moment.

>This should be a great learning experience as well.

It is. From time to time it really messes with your brain, but it is a LOT
of fun!

Regards,
Stephan

--