[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-Coders] Someone broke the HEAD, again :-(

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Tue, 02 Apr 2002 16:09:11 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> [Chris W, in a private comment]
> > Am I unjustified in expecting the person who broke this to fix it? ;-)
>
> Indeed you are.  Nobody owns the code.  (See SteveA's recent change to
> "my" job board example page templates.)

*shrugs* I don't really agree, and I don't see how your statement or exampel are
relevent...

If I break code, then I expect to fix it. If I break code and don't know about it, but
someone points it out, then I still expect to fix it.

If I merely find broken code, which I don't understand at all (as in this case; I haven't
done any C coding in 5 years) then am I really the best person to fix it?

In this case, there are unit tests, which should have been run. I'm not sure how they
could have run if the code wouldn't compile. If the code did compile on the platform of
whoever ran the tests, then fine, but now they're aware, I'd expect they're in a much
better position to fix the code than me...

cheers,

Chris

PS: I didn't make any assertions about code ownership, just resonsibilities for actions
people take ;-)