[Zope3-dev] Re: form action

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 02 Apr 2002 10:40:08 -0500

> Let me summarize using a table:
>
> action=""
>                   jl/new                 jl/new/
>
> netscape 4       /jl/new/               /jl/new/
>
> mozilla          /jl/new/index.html     /jl/new/
>

> action="."
>
>                   jl/new                 jl/new/
>
> netscape 4       /jl/new/.              /jl/new/.
>
> mozilla          /jl/new/               /jl/new/
>
> In the odd mozilla case above, it looks like mozilla is using the base
> href: http://localhost:8080/jl/new/index.html

Ah, that would explain it.  So Mozilla interprets action="" as "use
the same URL as from which we posted" while Netscape 4 interprets it
as "go to relative url '' in same directory".  We'd have to dig up a
standard to find out who's right, but that doesn't matter -- neither
browser is going to change this now.

> An alternative fix would be to make the Job Board always link to
> "new/" rather than just "new".

I'd be for fixing the BASE HREF not to include the "index.html" part.