[Zope3-dev] SMTP Server question

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 15:51:31 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Stephan Richter wrote:
> Shane raised the question today and asked me how I plan to store the data
> in the ZODB. Obviously there will be a concept of a MailBoxFolder and
> Mailbox object, but how does the server get to them or know whether they exist?

Why is it obvious that there would be a MailBoxFolder and a Mailbox
object?

When an email comes in to Zope, I think it ought to be "dispatched"
to a "delivery agent".  The delivery agent might then store it in
a mailbox in a mailbox folder.  But in general if I'm getting mail
into Zope, I don't want to just store it, I want to *process* it,
which may or may not generate new content objects.

So how about the SMTP server asks for a "maildispatcher" service
and just hands the message off?  One possible maildispatcher
service could then be something that uses the mail headers to
look up a MailBoxFolder/mailbox in a registry.

--RDM