[Zope3-dev] Are there Graphic Designers?

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk@adelphia.net
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 10:07:08 -0500

I think the ZM3I would be best rendered as very basic, spec-compliant
HTML, using minimal built in formatting and few or no graphical
elements, except for content icons and other necessities. It would be
OK, IMO, if it had only marginal attractiveness when viewed in browsers
without CSS support. If you're using a browser without or with poor CSS
support, minimal HTML complexity is probably good for performance,
anyway.

This would make community improvements, ZPT macro-ization/reuse and
general hacking on the Z3MI more approachable, since the ZPT source
would be as concise as possible, and the consistency of style/class
attributing would be maximized. The consistency of style/class
attributing has implications for what the ZMI's ZPT TAL expressions have
to work with, as well.

It also encourages CSS style sheets developed by third parties to make
global and consistent customization to the ZMI. The simpler the ZPT/HTML
output, the better the CSS style sheets can be made to work. I'd prefer
to see CSS stylesheets used to support developer preferences (such as
small font sizes for the ZMI), as well as to adapt to the variations in
browser's HTML rendering. Separate CSS for various browsers would be the
skin authors option, if their layout precision called for it.