[Zope3-dev] ZMI

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Sat, 06 Apr 2002 12:40:44 +0100

Andy McKay wrote:

> Some of the stuff that came out of the the ZMI BOF at Python 10:
> - ensuring that people remember the ZMI is more than just a management
> interface, we should be able to interact easily with Zope through different
> protocols
> - the ZMI remains skinnable and as such the base / default ZMI / ZopeTop
> should be functional, basic, simple and cross platform. If we make it easy to
> skin the ZMI then people can install new skins that use CSS, Flash, DHTML or
> look like Plone.

I hope another one came up:

The ability for developers to re-use bits of the ZMI. Another Zope 2 gripe is
that you couldn't for example, re-use the object list widget that ObjectManager
provided (a better example is that I can't re-use the tab widget along the top
for doing other blocks of tabs...), hence why Shane had to copy and paste the
code for BTreeFolder, and why it now has trouble getting the improvements that
have been fed into the ZMI since.

Two things for this:

1. Try and break the pages down into re-usable widgets
2. Have those widgets only use interfaces, so they can be applied to other
objects which implement those interfaces differently.

what do people think?

cheers,

Chris