[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] Are there Graphic Designers?

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@cuemedia.com
Sat, 06 Apr 2002 19:25:50 -0700

On 4/6/02 2:52 AM, "Adrian Hungate" <adrian@haqa.co.uk> wrote:

> My question is this: Everyone is saying "The ZMI is bad, it's confusing,
> users don't like it". Could anyone show me evidence of this? Personally I
> love the ZMI in the current versions. I have also found there is a
> negligable learning curve for users who already know how to use Windows
> Explorer and similar products. I just don't see the need to throw out the
> ZMI - Are we in a baby/bathwater situation here?

I agree.  The problem people may have with the ZMI is the fact that Zope has
so many potential audiences.  "Users don't like it".  Which users?   I think
Zope needs a simple and effective interface for *managing* (the M in ZMI,
let's give it some meaning!) the Zope process and basic property/object
inspection.

I think that's a worthy goal, roughly akin to what the ZMI does now.  It's
when development and other uses get involved that it gets tricky.  I agree
that the more manager/administrator focused ZMI is not welcoming to someone
who enters content for an arts festival or playhouse.  But we build
applications and new screens for those people.  I would never give the users
I'm developing a site for access to the ZMI - they don't need it.  All
they're doing is entering (and occasionally managing) content, or using more
business oriented objects.

But as a developer/administrator, I'm sure glad the ZMI is there and basic
enough that I can fix a problem or tweak some code from just about anywhere.
In its current form, the ZMI does allow me to get my job done.

--
Jeffrey P Shell
www.cuemedia.com