[Zope3-dev] Re: ZMI

Andy McKay andy@agmweb.ca
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 14:11:56 -0700

> 1. Try and break the pages down into re-usable widgets
> 2. Have those widgets only use interfaces, so they can be applied to other
> objects which implement those interfaces differently.

Absolutely one of my first complaints about the old ZMI in the BOF was that
as product developer there is nothing more exciting than doing all the cool
Python bits. Then at the end you have to write all this boring DTML crap
(boo hiss flog the none ZPT believer) to provide a Management Interface. It
would be really nice to expose a certain set of parameters in a product to
do that (similar to the Product Manager now)

We would write Widgets to read this information and build the ZMI. Such
ideas would prevent the adding of logic into the presentation layer as we
have now and make it easy to make new skins and satisfy the desire for a
fancy ZMI.

Parallels were then drawn to XUL and WebServices. Then after a brief rant
about how XUL sucks we got back to the topic in hand. Anyway those were the
thoughts which sound great to me :)
--
  ANdy