[Zope3-dev] RDB support

Stuart Bishop zen@shangri-la.dropbear.id.au
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:25:37 +1000

On Thursday, April 11, 2002, at 01:11  AM, Stephan Richter wrote:

> as I am getting done writing the server stuff, I am getting ready to
> integrate RDBs into Zope 3. I have no idea whta is expected of this,
> but I know I like the way Zope 2 does it. For my taste, porting the
> Zope 2 mechanism to Zope 3 would be perfect. That would result in the
> following problems:

+1 on the Zope 2 mechanism - ZSQL methods provide an essential interface
into
existing RDBMS. Higher level mechanisms will give advantages, but won't
work in
all situations so we still need the ability to issue arbitrary SQL and
get an answer.

Caching is my major issue with Zope2 - and I guess this can be
abstracted out so
other objects can use the caching mechanisms. In particular, the
following two issues
cause me to use my own caching layers more often than not:
	1) I'm unable to clear the cache
	2) The cache cannot be shared between Zope2 threads

Ability to clear the cache is the more important, as this can be used to
workaround
the second issue if it cannot be done.

--
Stuart Bishop <zen@shangri-la.dropbear.id.au>