[Zope3-dev] RDB support

Casey Duncan casey@zope.com
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:12:39 -0600

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 12:03 PM 4/10/02 -0600, Casey Duncan wrote:
>
>> ZSQL methods are recordset generators. Perhaps we should abstract that
>> to a common base interface so that anything generating record sets,
>> like catalogish things, sql methods, xml-rpc/wddx and any other
>> tablish things (tinytables?).
>>
>> Even better I think we might start to think about ORMappings and make
>> recordsets just a simplistic implementation of them. So, we should
>> probably abstract this from a basic interface for mapping objects to
>> records.
>

> I've done a significant amount of work (measured in man-months) on the
> above two notions in TransWarp.  I don't know how applicable the
> implementation is to the Zope 3 core or what other people will want, but
> what I *have* tackled is:

If you are willing to give some of this work/thought over to Zope3, it
is more than welcome. We need some people who have tackled this already
to solve various requirements to get involved here.

I like your ideas, and I think they are in keeping with a simple (yet
robust) mapping of records to objects. Perhaps you could write these
specs into some documentation, requirements or a proposal in the Zope 3
wiki? Also, usecases and/or user stories would be very helpful.

I wholeheartedly welcome any contribution you can give. We haven't even
yet begun architecting this AFIAK, so we are really starting from the
ground floor.

-Casey