[Zope3-dev] RDB support

Stephan Richter srichter@cbu.edu
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:57:48 -0500

At 05:19 PM 4/10/2002 -0400, Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:
> > [Brian Lloyd] I would further encourage anyone approaching
> > this to study the System.Data and ADO related libraries
> > in .NET.
>
>If particular interest IMO is the disconnected, multitable relational
>dataset in ADO.NET. Filling datasets' tables from various sources is
>handled through adapters, which can be implemented over collections of
>XML, SQL, and dare-I-hope... ZODB Pickles and Catalog Results.

I think this would go too deep into the ORMapping issue, which I would like
to punt for now. However, I agree with your point on having a common
interface for all sorts of external data sources.

Can you provide links to documentation to the named technologies, such as
"disconnected, multitable relational dataset"?

>With that, we'd have relational joining of multiple Catalog Query
>results (given a common key) implemented in a standardized way. ZOQL
>would get a big boost in capability out of it, and many projects could
>remain in the ZODB without going back to RDBs because of querying
>requirements.

I agree, but then I think this should be a layer on top of the low-level
communication framework.

Regards,
Stephan

--