[Zope3-dev] Zope Package (Directory) Structure Reorganization

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 20:53:36 -0400

Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     |              OFS
>     |            ** -->(if OFS *only* holds Container, why bother with it?
>     |                    Either stick Folder in here or move Container up and
>     |                    eliminate OFS altogether)
>     |                  Container
>     |                      ...
>
> I've always been puzzled by the moniker "OFS" and have to think about
> what that means each time.  I'm not even sure if I'm write ("Object
> File System"?).  I'm +1 on any reorg that makes this directory's
> purpose more clear.

I like the notion that OFS contains only the things you would need to
make a static web site: folders, files, and images.  Imagine people
coming from other web servers and trying to make sense of an entire
object system.  They need a way in.  The easiest thing to do is upload
static HTML and images, and to do that, just use OFS.  OFS is the
doorway from files and directories to very simple objects.  And OFS is
always there to fall back on.

This is one of the things that Zope 2 did right.

Shane